Pages

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Civics Literacy

A good friend sent me a brief 33 question test by the Intercollegiate Studies Institute about our civics knowledge. Click here to take the exam online. It takes less than ten minutes, and I believe you will find it to be a worthwhile exercise.

The only bothersome thing, at least to me, is the survey's finding that "The average score for all 2,508 Americans taking the following test was 49%; college educators scored 55%."

My hope and strong belief is that those students who studied American History with me last year would do much, much better than the average score cited hereinabove.

But even if not, we'll keep trying to improve our performance as we study Government and Economics this academic year.

For the rest of you, I hope that you will choose to take the test and learn something concerning your knowledge of civics as well.

Thanks for forwarding the exam, Sid. Bob.

1 comment:

  1. I missed 4.

    But I misread one of the questions and thought that it asked about the contribution of "federalists" as opposed to "anti federalists" in the adoption of the Constitution. I would have otherwise gotten that answer correct.

    In deciding which answer to choose when asked about the effect of government spending and taxes being equal to each other, I wished there were an option for "there would be no deficit during that period," or something like that (I guess substituting "revenue" for "taxes" would have helped too). I think I know why my "there is no government debt" choice is wrong, but I think that was kind of an unfair question/answer combination. I knew that spending and taxes "per person" would be equal if total spending were equal, but I thought the other option was correct as well.

    ReplyDelete